Last week, we released a new version of JAMS! 🚀
So we thought, what better time than now, to dive into JAMS and its features?
JAMS (Jami Account Management System) is an account management system for the Jami communication platform.
Using a local server or cloud hosting, JAMS enables you to easily add and manage your own community while preserving the advantages of Jami's distributed network.
Setting up your own community on JAMS
Users within an organization may have different needs and permissions when using Jami.
JAMS integrates seamlessly into an existing infrastructure, providing different levels of access for each user or group of users.
The platform can be customized both visually and functionally, thanks to an environment hosted by the community or company.
Deploying JAMS in your organization
As a provisioning tool, JAMS supports three sources of user authentication:
1. Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)
2. Active Directory (AD)
3. Integrated database (Apache Derby)
Using their AD/LDAP credentials, or credentials provided by an integrated database, members of your organization can register with Jami without having to set up their account first.
What comes with JAMS?
- Integration with LDAP, Active Directory or Apache Derby databases: synchronizing JAMS user accounts with existing databases facilitates integration into existing infrastructures.
- Account management: adding and deleting accounts for new community members, in the event of an employee departure or a reorganization of the organization's structure, is one of JAMS' key functions.
- Authorization management :
- Access to functionalities: you can define the actions a user can perform according to their responsibilities, giving them different authorizations. For example, authorize calls and messages for some users, and restrict access to video calls and file sharing for others, etc.
- Group management: user groups can be created, modified and deleted, and assigned specific authorizations according to the needs of a department, team or other organizational criteria; making it easier to manage authorizations for similar sets of users.
- Contact list: define who can contact whom, profile visibility levels and contact management.
- Visual customization of the user interface: the background photo and the logo for a designated group can be modified.
What difference between the Community and the Enterprise Editions?
At its core, JAMS has only one version, making the fundamental features consistent across all editions. However, there are key distinctions:
— The Community Edition is entirely free of charge to administer your community.
— The Enterprise Edition is built for a customized JAMS experience and offer additional support options, such as automatic updates, security patches, and access to professional support.
You can learn more about it on JAMS official website.
JAMS is published under the GPLv3+ license and copyrighted by Savoir-faire Linux Inc.
JAMS source code is available on Savoir-faire Linux's Git page.
How does it work?
A digital certificate is a kind of electronic passport that enables a person, computer, or organization to exchange information securely over the Internet. Like a passport, a digital certificate provides identity information, and can be verified because it is issued by an official, trusted agency. Certificates are used to encrypt messages and generate electronic signatures, enabling the recipient to verify their authenticity.
To prove its authenticity and validity, a certificate is digitally signed by a root certificate belonging to a trusted certification authority. Operating systems and web browsers maintain lists of root certificates, so that certificates issued and signed by certification authorities can be easily verified.
For internal hosting, certificates can be self-signed. In this way, the certification authority enables JAMS to recognize the digital certificates it has issued to authenticate members of a JAMS community: a Jami user therefore requests a certificate from the server, then presents it to other devices in order to be recognized as a valid member of the organization.
Donate to Jami
Jami is a free project and anyone can study it, make changes and redistribute it.
To provide everyone with a free, secure and privacy-friendly means of communication, we need your support.
Jami is very important to us and grows mainly with your help, as we mentioned in our manifesto last December.
Consider donating to contribute directly to Jami's growth:
We deeply thank you for
your help and your support!
On receiving your donation, Savoir-faire Linux Inc. and the Jami team pledge that:
- Your donations will be used exclusively to develop and improve Jami.
- Jami will always be free software published under the GPLv3+ license.
- Jami will not ask for any personal data to use the application.
- Jami will remain free for all.
- We will publish a full report of funds raised through the donation campaign.